Wednesday, February 16, 2011

very rare

during the blizzard 2 weeks ago, I skinned my knuckle pretty bad while I was shoveling. a couple days later I was holding the little guy and saw some blood on him. I just figured it was from my finger and didn't think anything of it - did our normal bath routine and put him to bed.

the next day I was putting a new outfit on him and there was blood again. but spots all over on his left side - right in the nipple area. for the last week and a half it's kept happening. at first, I thought maybe it was chapped, but even after slathering Vaseline it wasn't helping - so I got an appt with the doctor this morning.

it turns out that he has mammary duct ectasia. it's very rare and usually spontaneously resolves itself. in even rarer cases it requires surgery to remove the offending duct(s). so it's a keep an eye on it and wait and see type deal.

we also need to wait a few more weeks to try baby food again. he's showing slight excema and the doctor doesnt want to take a chance at him developing anything food allergy related.

he weighed in at 18lb 4oz - the 83rd percentile. so he's doing just fine in the growth department. it'll be fun to see where he's at in march at his 6 month check up.


0 comments: